Arcanum Adytum is up - looking for contributors!
http://ArcanumAdytum.org

Author Topic: Ceremonial Magic 102  (Read 2147 times)

Nubti

• Administrator
Re: Ceremonial Magic 102
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 06:15:59 AM »
One has to smile at how Negi of all people shows up out of nowhere and starts giving advice.

And yes, it would be more effective to focus down on one thing; I like to think of it in terms of divine (military) hierarchies. If you need to have two branches of the military working together, you make a committee, that will manage and oversee the work.

You're just one guy - who are you going to call?

pantare

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 11:01:02 AM »
Appreciate the advice Negi, although I'm looking for something more concrete than "do what you think is right".

And thanks Surgo, my concern was dividing my attention by using multiple sephiroth, so just one is probably wiser.

For anyone interested, I'm reading the Seven Penitential Psalms as well as a similar method to Satyr's ceremonial guide posted here to invoke Michael.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 03:10:42 PM »
I hear good things about the Seven, although I personally haven't found them necessary. What has your experience been?

pantare

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »
So I've been writing out the Seven, one per day since this past Wednesday, Mercury's planetary day. I'm recording a new one each day, then reading everything recorded so far. It may be simpler just to record them all at once and read them all daily, but whatever, it's poetic. I've gotten a few tiny Michael related synchronicity's.

More interestingly, recording the seven psalms has been fucking with my head. My anxiety was spiking heavily after the second and third recordings, plus waking up in near panic. The fourth and fifth have left me feeling better. As well, today I rerecorded the psalms so far into another journal, and stopped for breaks. A similar occurance before I finished writing the fourth. know it sounds unlikely, but they really seem to be affecting me. I expect any issues should resolve on completion of all seven.

Before each psalm I'm writing and reciting one of seven O Antiphon's, and ending each psalm with Gloria Patri.

Negi Springfield

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »
Appreciate the advice Negi, although I'm looking for something more concrete than "do what you think is right".
You're welcome. I realized after I wrote that post what bland advice that was. The problem a lot of people have is that they try to use someone else's methods without knowing if they will "work" for them. Most of what you do involves making the atmosphere just right. Doing magick is like doing anything else, you have certain things that will either aid or hinder you. Sometimes a dogmatic approach can be that hinderance. That's why you have to DO it to learn how best to do it in the future. Think laboratory science. Some scientists do things by the book and others learn though trial and error. Some of the best discoveries have been made through pure accident. That's why you can change things up to some extent and not be "wrong" per se.

One has to smile at how Negi of all people shows up out of nowhere and starts giving advice.
Oh well. I thought I'd come back around and talk about this stuff. Glad I made your day in some small way.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 03:13:23 PM »
Would it be wiser or more effective to focus only on one particular aspect and use the appropriate godname as opposed to both?

What days are you working?

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 03:21:29 PM »
Think laboratory science. Some scientists do things by the book and others learn though trial and error. Some of the best discoveries have been made through pure accident. That's why you can change things up to some extent and not be "wrong" per se.

That's a good example, but no, scientists don't learn through trial and error, not at first. As anyone who has studied laboratory science knows, it involves many hours of practicing known protocols and techniques by the book, before striking out for unknown territory.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »
“The Opening of the Temple in the Grade of 2=9” (Liber Chanokh, Part II, in The Equinox, Vol I, No VIII, pp 105-106), used in our last post, provides an example of what we have been doing in these threads: adapting preëxisting group ritual to individual needs.

[Give the Sign of Shu.]

[Knock.] Let us adore the Lord and King of Air!
Shaddai El Chai! Almighty and ever-living One, be Thy Name ever magnified in the Life of All. [Sign of Shu] Amen!

[Make the Invoking Pentagram of Spirit Active in these names: AHIH AGLA EXARP.]

[Make the Invoking Pentagram of Air in these names: IHVH ShDI AL ChI.]

And Elohim said:  “Let us make Adam in our image, after our likeness, and let them have dominion over the fowls of the air”.

In the Names of IHVH and of ShDI AL ChI, Spirits of Air, adore your Creator!

[With air-dagger (or another suitable weapon) make the sign of Aquarius.] In the name of RPAL and in the Sign of the Man, Spirits of Air, adore your Creator!

[Make the Cross.] In the Names and Letters of the Great Eastern Quadrangle, Spirits of Air, adore your Creator!

[Hold dagger aloft.] In the Three great Secret Names of God, ORO IBAH AOZPI that are borne upon the Banners of the East, Spirits of Air, adore your Creator!

[Again elevate dagger.] In the Name of BATAIVAH, great King of the East, Spirits of Air, adore your Creator!

In the Name of Shaddai AL Chai, I declare that the Spirits of Air have been duly invoked.

The Knock: 333—333—333.

With minor variations, this is substantially what we find in the 2=9 initiation ceremony as given in Regardie's, The Golden Dawn (6th edition, Vol Two, Book Two, pp 155-156). The original apparently had more words in the part beginning, “In the Names and Letters…”. Crowley has also added additional god-names to the pentagram of spirit, and omitted the circles the Hierophant seems to have drawn around the pentagrams.

Whether to include this last gesture is a matter of what seems best in a particular situation. In the Golden Dawn's 2=9 ritual, the Zelator was admitted to the temple and ritually exposed to the elemental forces previously invoked in the opening. It was thus desirable to draw a limiting circle around the pentagrams so that the element would remain where it was invoked until the admission of the candidate. We did much the same in our invocation and consecration of a simple talisman, invoking spirit and air, then exposing our talisman to those forces. We consequently encircled our pentagrams for the same reasons.

The additional god-names are somewhat curious. Crowley has here included the name for both the active and passive forms, for reasons not at all clear. Corruption is always a possibility. In any case, I chose to use only the active name, AHIH, in our invocation, as Liber O would seem to suggest. The third name Crowley adds to the spirit pentagram, EXARP, is the top line of the “Tablet of Union”, from the Enochian system, associated with air, spirit, and the entire eastern Watchtower.

“In the Names and Letters of the Great Eastern Quadrangle, …”, also refers to the Watchtower of the east. In Dee's system, the earth is symbolically represented by the Great Table. Each quadrant - or “Quadrangle” - of this table is a relatively independent structure representing one of the four watchtowers that stand at the four quarters of the world. The quadrant we associate with air is in the upper-left corner of the Great Table.

The “Three great Secret Names of God” and the “great King of the East”, are drawn from this upper-left quadrant (exactly how must be left for another time). Dee's system imagines twelve banners surrounding the Great Table of earth, each banner bearing a “great Secret” name of god, three in each quarter. The “great King” is, among other things, one of the four “living things” around the throne of the Most High (Revelation 4, 6b-8).

Some students seem to feel there is a great practical and conceptual chasm between the simple ritual work with which they are familiar and the arcane and potentially perilous world of Enochian magic. This chasm is not so wide as some suspect.

When we perform the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram, we work within a spacial-elemental framework identical to the Golden Dawn's conception of the Watchtowers. The Watchtower of the east is sitting out there, in front of us, when we finish the LRP, whether we acknowledge it or not. Conceptually, we can think of the names, letters, gestures, and so on, that we use to invoke a particular element as activating portions of that watchtower. The more we include in an invocation, the ‘heavier’, ‘thicker’, more substantial the elemental forces of that quarter become.

We can see this in the layer upon layer added by the Golden Dawn and Crowley in their 2=9 openings. A sign, pentagrams, an archangel, a zodiacal cherub, god-names, three or four layers of elemental Enochian, and a battery of knocks (totalling 9, for Yesod) are combined to considerable effect. This is probably desirable in an initiatory temple context. However, as we have seen we may often make do with less. In our elemental invocation, I stripped out all of the obvious Enochian, the battery of knocks, and the biblical material. Depending on what seemed best, I might have included some of these features, all of them, or added yet more to them. It depends only upon taste and need.

As we look at the remaining elemental openings, we will see a pattern developing. Consider “The Opening of the Temple in the Grade of 3=8” (The Equinox, I, VIII, pp 108-109):

Give the Sign of Auramoth.

[Knock.] Let us adore the Lord and King of Water!
Elohim Tzabaoth! Elohim of Hosts!
Glory be to the Ruach Elohim which moved upon the Face of the Waters of Creation!
AMEN!

[Make the Invoking Pentagram of Spirit Passive and pronounce these names: AHIH AGLA HCOMA.]

[Make the Invoking Pentagram of Water and pronounce: AL ALHIM TzBAVTh.]

And Elohim said: Let us make Adam in Our image; and let them have dominion over the Fish of the Sea! In the Name of AL, Strong and Powerful, and in the name of ALHIM TzBAVTh, Spirits of Water, adore your Creator!

[Make Sigil of Eagle with cup.] In the name of GBRIAL and in the sign of the Eagle, Spirits of Water, adore your Creator!

[Make cross with cup.] In all the Names and Letters of the Great Quadrangle of the West, Spirits of Water, adore your Creator!

[Elevate cup.] In the three great Secret Names of God MPH ARSL GAIOL that are borne upon the Banners of the West, Spirits of Water, adore your Creator!

[Elevate cup.] In the Name of RAAGIOSEL, great King of the West, Spirits of Water, adore your Creator!

In the name of Elohim Tzabaoth, I declare that the Spirits of Water have been duly invoked

The Knock: 1—333—1—333

The overall structure of the 3=8 is essentially the same as the 2=9. It begins with the grade sign, then an adoration followed by the appropriate pentagrams. Again, Crowley includes the god-names for active and passive forms, and an Enochian name from the “Tablet of Union”, this time the second line, associated with water and spirit. There follows some biblical material, Gabriel (the archangel of the west), the sign of the Eagle (or Scorpio, the cherubic zodiacal sign of water), and the same hierarchy of elemental Enochian names, this time drawn from the upper right quadrant of the Great Table. The final battery, totalling 8 knocks, refers to the sepherah Hod, as does the god-name ALHIM TzBAVTh (777, Table I, Col V, Key Scale 8). The name AL, of course, is associated with the element of water (Col V, Key Scale 23).

Based upon these structural similarities, we may combine the information in 777 and Liber O into a Golden-Dawn style watchtower ritual that is Enochian in flavor, but not quite Enochian.

For example, set up a ritual space as before, with the altar in the east and so on. Since you will be giving grade signs, insure there is somewhere to temporarily place your weapon in every quarter.

Banish and open the temple, purifying and consecrating as before. Advance to the east, take up the weapon, turn right, and move clockwise around your circle until reaching the north. Facing that quarter, give the Sign of Set fighting and say, “Let us adore the Lord and King of Earth!”

Take up the weapon and trace the invoking pentagram of earth while vibrating ADNI. Raise the weapon and say, “In the Divine and Holy Names Adonai Ha-Aretz and Adonai Malekh, Spirits of Earth, adore your Creator!”

Say, “In the name of [vibrate] Uriel and [trace the sign of Taurus] in the Sign of the Bull, Spirits of Earth, adore your Creator!”

Raise the weapon a final time and say, “And in the Names and Letters of the great Watchtower of the north, Spirits of Earth, come forth and aid me in the accomplishment of my Will!”

Turn right, go clockwise around the circle to the east, and face that direction. Give the Sign of Shu and say, “Let us adore the Lord and King of Air!”

Take up the weapon and trace the invoking pentagram of air while vibrating IHVH. Raise the weapon and say, “In the Divine and Holy Names Yahweh Tetragrammaton and Shadai al Chai, Spirits of Air, adore your Creator!”

Say, “In the name of [vibrate] Raphael and [trace the sign of Aquarius] in the Sign of the Man, Spirits of Air, adore your Creator!”

Hold the weapon aloft and say, “And in the Names and Letters of the great Watchtower of the East, Spirits of Air, come forth and aid me in the accomplishment of my Will!”

Turn and move clockwise around the circle until reaching the west. Halt, face that direction, give the Sign of Auramoth and say, “Let us adore the Lord and King of Water!”

Take up the weapon and trace the invoking pentagram of water while vibrating AL. Raise the weapon and say, “In the Divine and Holy Names Al and Elohim Tzabaoth, Spirits of Water, adore your Creator!”

Say, “In the name of [vibrate] Gabriel and [trace the sign of Scorpio] in the Sign of the Eagle, Spirits of Water, adore your Creator!”

Raise the weapon once more and say, “And in the Names and Letters of the great Watchtower of the West, Spirits of Water, come forth and aid me in the accomplishment of my Will!”

Turn to the right and go clockwise around the circle until reaching the south. Halt, face that quarter, give the Sign of Thoum Aesh Neith and say, “Let us adore the Lord and King of Fire!”

Take up the weapon and trace the invoking pentagram of fire while vibrating ALHIM. Hold the weapon aloft and say, “In the Divine and Holy Names Elohim and Yahweh Tzabaoth, Spirits of Fire, adore your Creator!”

Say, “In the name of [vibrate] Michael and [trace the sign of Leo] in the Sign of the Lion, Spirits of Fire, adore your Creator!”

Raise the weapon a final time and say, “And in the Names and Letters of the great Watchtower of the South, Spirits of Fire, come forth and aid me in the accomplishment of my Will!”

Turn right and go clockwise around the circle until reaching the east once more. Briefly face that quarter, lay down the weapon, and then return to the center of the circle. Say while giving the Portal Signs, “The Sign of the Rending of the Veil. The sign of the Closing of the Veil.”

Retrieve the weapon and, facing east in the center of the circle trace the active invoking pentagram of spirit while vibrating AHIH, then the invoking passive pentagram of spirit while vibrating AGLA. Put down the weapon and returning to the center say, “In the Divine and Holy Names Ehyeh, AGLA, and Yahweh Eloah Va-Daath, spirits of the Tablet of Union, ye, ye I invoke!

“The Sign of Osiris Slain! [Give sign.]

“The Sign of the Mourning of Isis! [Give sign.]

“The Sign of Apophis and Typhon! [Give sign.]

“The Sign of Osiris Risen! [Give sign.]

“L [Give Sign of Osiris Slain],

“V [Give Sign of Apophis],

“X [Give Sign of Osiris Risen],

“LUX! The Light of the True Cross!”

When ready to close, go to the east, turn left, and move counter-clockwise around the circle. After making two full circumambulations of the temple, complete the third and final circuit spiraling into the center and, facing east again, give the Sign of Silence. Then proceed with the license to depart and banishing as before. Given the balance of the four elements, with spirit on top, there is no immediate need to banish what has been invoked.

Such a space might be suitable for developmental exercises, or reading, or study, or just for practice. It might be used as a platform for planetary work. It might even be used in a sort of defensive fashion, when the protective properties of the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram seem insufficient. A ritual like the above might be used to achieve a degree of balance after, or even before, exploring a specific element or sub-element.

The invocations of the elements used here are somewhat simpler than the invocation in our consecration ceremony. It is probably best at this point to sacrifice complexity for ease of memorization. Trying to balance a book in one hand and a dagger in the other can be very discouraging. In the above ritual, one only needs to remember the pentagrams, the cherubic zodiacal signs, the god-name associated with each element, and the god-names in Assiah of Malkuth, Yesod, Hod, Netzach, and Tiphareth. The archangels we already know and the rest is just the repetitive mechanics of invoking the elements as we move around the circle.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »
Damn. That's a hell of a write-up.

One question that immediately springs to mind is... why clockwise?

It appears that a lot of Crowley's rituals are meant to be performed counter-clockwise, and I haven't been able to find any good explanation.

Rebellion against his G.D. days?

On another note... it seems that you've distilled a framework which lets anyone substitute the appropriate names and signs, and perform a full ritual to any end they choose.

Do you think it might be worth it to build a website/ software which automatically picks the appropriate names/ elements from 777 and plugs them into a template in this format? It might be a decent way for me to occupy my mind, and be useful at the same time.

Either way. Excellent write-up. Thanks!

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 07:00:15 PM »
Damn. That's a hell of a write-up.

Thank you! I have been busy.

One question that immediately springs to mind is... why clockwise?

Convention. For these examples I have adopted the convention of clockwise to invoke and counter-clockwise to banish. Since we have to move around the room anyway, I have chosen to harness this movement to our advantage. The performer circles the room clockwise exactly three times while invoking the elements. So, to close, we reverse this movement, circling the room three times counter-clockwise.

It appears that a lot of Crowley's rituals are meant to be performed counter-clockwise, and I haven't been able to find any good explanation.

Rebellion against his G.D. days?

He often seems to be observing the same convention. In the Star Ruby, for example, instead of using banishing pentagrams, we move counter-clockwise instead.

On another note... it seems that you've distilled a framework which lets anyone substitute the appropriate names and signs, and perform a full ritual to any end they choose.

That is deliberate. I hope my examples will show the student how to build up ritual using essentially found objects. It can be as stripped-down and simple, or as layered and baroque, as taste and need require.

Once you understand the structures you are building, cranking out something like I just posted is as easy as opening 777.

Do you think it might be worth it to build a website/ software which automatically picks the appropriate names/ elements from 777 and plugs them into a template in this format? It might be a decent way for me to occupy my mind, and be useful at the same time.

I am of the opinion that the work that goes into looking up the names, and working it out for yourself, counts toward the final result. I think there is much to be gained by engaging the material as presented. Maybe, even hopefully, you will find a wording that sounds better to your ear. By the time you have invocations that are pleasing and appropriate, and have recorded them in your journal or grimoire, they will be practically memorized, if not already known by heart.

And then the written record itself becomes a talisman in its own right, something you can wave at spirits and rightly say, “By the ancient and inscrutable names of power and holiness contained in this book, you better watch your ass!”

Either way. Excellent write-up. Thanks!

Many thanks for reading along.

paragate

• פּאראסאמגאטה
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2019, 05:32:15 PM »
I used the described method to establish a space for scrying and I was really impressed with the effectiveness of it. I have been putting off any kind of Watchtower ritual but the weight of them was obvious even to me. Side note - I was trying to banish distraction, and I somehow had radio silence from my roommates until I banished again when closing the temple. Thank you for this rundown, I feel that it has opened many doors for me (regarding future Work).

pantare

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »
First of all, I'd like to thank you Satyr for the incredible writing. Your writing is clear and professional, and genuinely helpful in the work I'm about to describe.

I don't know if this is an appropriate thread to post this, but I'm doing it anyway.

Invocation of Saint Michael. Wednesday August 14th, 2019:
Traveling in France and considering the next direction of my magic, I happened upon the statue of St. Michael and the Dragon in the museum D'orsay, followed by another rendition at St. Michel Place, Paris. Following this, I spent some time researching the archangel Michael on the internet, 777, and other sources as they came. For roughly two weeks I have thought about Michael with sparse research. Some around the web, 777, and other sources. After these two weeks, with abnormally little privacy, a few hours suddenly opened and I was pleased to realize it is Wednesday, the planetary day of the sephira Hod of which Michael is the archangel. An invocation follows:

Temple and altars: Standing in a hotel room, to the east is a table, to the south is a chair with a red lighter, to the west is another table with a cup of salted water, to the north is my bed with a coffee cup full of salt.

Preliminary work: LBRP, Bornless, purification and consecration as per Satyr's direction from these threads, Regardie's Opening by Watchtower, reciting of the Seven Penitential Psalms.

I grasp the lighter, lighting it at times. Turning south, invoking fire pentagram drawn and the names of the southern Watchtower OIP TEAA PEDOCE are vibrated again. Then ALHIM TzBAOT, the godname of Hod is vibrated. Then the name MIKAL is vibrated and visualized in hebrew. I call upon Michael by this hierarchy, and scrawl a rendition of the St. Michel statue, followed by a scrawled sigil, hebrew MIKAL מיכאל on the border and Quis Deus in the center, latin for "Who is like God", the translation of MIKAL from hebrew. I gaze at the drawing and sigil, and chant "MIKAL QUIS DEUS". I pause to give orations to him. I stand and assume the posture of the St. Michel statue, like a godform. Right hand wields his sword, left points up to God. My foot stands over the slain dragon. Eventually, I sit before my notebook on the southern altar (chair), and begin writing.

I ask multiple questions, I won't include them all for different reasons. Following is my primary question and related points. This is all done on pen and paper, no scrying device, and I can't see for shit.

How can I conquer fear?
You must overcome the face of judgment.
How do I know who you are?
You will receive a sign.

These are the most pertinent communications. I asked him about Lucifer, he gave me some answers I won't share, but eventually told me to stop asking. I also asked him about communication, he recommended training sight. I asked him about an illness I have, which I called Raphael for help a a few months ago. Michael's answer was that it is already being handled, on inquiry he confirmed that it's Raphael. Eventually I asked if I could go, he said yes. LBRP, LBRH, close temple.

Analysis: his answer "overcome the face of judgment" is my direction. I asked about fear because a homeopath I visited helped me understand fear at the source of many of my problems. The mention of judgement immediately reminded me of the XXth tarot trump Judgment. Research shows a few things.

First, the card features an angel blowing the trumpet of revelation. My first instinct is that it's Gabriel, but research was less clear on which angel this is. Literally a big ass angel face named Judgement. Further research showed this to be the path of Shin on the Tree of Life, from Malkuth to Hod, ruled by fire as per 777. I take this as the evidence of Michael's authenticity.

I was given permission to contact Michael again, and I will further consider and research his answers. I've never done pathwork before, but perhaps the task is to take on Shin. I am open to comment and criticism if anyone cares to give it.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 06:49:39 PM »
Thank you for this rundown, I feel that it has opened many doors for me (regarding future Work).

You are most welcome! I am so glad it's working for you.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »
First of all, I'd like to thank you Satyr for the incredible writing. Your writing is clear and professional, and genuinely helpful in the work I'm about to describe.

You're welcome! And I am glad you found it helpful.

I think this is rather good. Thank you for posting it. The Lucifer question was a surprise, sounds like Michael's response was not.

Yes, exactly who blows the horn for the grand finale is ambiguous. I have seen Michael blowing a horn, for what that's worth.

Maybe we should pause and talk about path working?

pantare

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 10:13:28 PM »
The Lucifer question was a surprise, sounds like Michael's response was not.

For context, a mildly traumatic invocation of Lucifer I performed left something in the back of my mind. I really don't know what's up with this, so prepare to read some crazy. There's a sometimes red sometimes orange glowing mark in my minds eye. Being in the back of my mind is an important point, and I'm trying to describe something I don't quite have words for. It very distinctly seems to come from the depth of me, the symbolism is obvious. When I think of it, it leaps to attention quickly and lights up like a cigarette ember being dragged. It flows and fills me quickly.

I've been apprehensive to access this, although it butts into my attention at times. If this sounds like bullshit, at least trust that I really don't know what I'm talking about here. But figured I may as well ask Michael, so here's the communication:

What of the power opened in my Lucifer invocation?
Dark.

Should I avoid it?
It is not ours.

(other questions)

Should I work with Lucifer?
No.

And if I do?
Denigration.

(at the time, I didn't know what denigration meant, I had to look it up afterwards.)

Explain?
You shall not know him.

Will I come to harm in working with him?
Ask no more of my brother.

An interesting interaction, at least. I can't say I'm surprised he doesn't approve. And I guess I wouldn't appreciate a stranger asking about my family drama, but I was hoping to get some answers about what's happened to me.

Maybe we should pause and talk about path working?
I would love to! I've never done it before. What I think I understand is you can astral project into either the tarot card, or a gateway bearing the hebrew letter of the path. Past that I've no clue.