Solstice is ready to accept pitches! Post here to get access:
https://osoaa.org/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Author Topic: Ceremonial Magic 102  (Read 2150 times)

Nubti

• Administrator
Re: Ceremonial Magic 102
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 10:36:11 PM »
Yes. Path working. The beast to conquer all.

I've got quite a few records of working with the genii from 231... not sure if pertinent. I do all of my work the same way; banish, invoke, and sit with a pen and paper. With one exception (which Satyr knows about), this has sufficed for all things I have done so far.

I'm very interested in your thoughts about path working, in particular the methods and devices employed; keeping a record is difficult.

SeLaH

• Solstice Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 01:14:21 AM »
Satyr, I know you are presenting the G.'.D.'. materials, but I am somewhat surprised that you are utilizing their mixture of Hebrew and Enochian.  I suppose it's just because you have to start *somewhere*, and G.'.D.'. is a fairly well-known place to start. 

The reason it surprises me is that I recall you stating in the past that you could think of no need to include Hebrew in Enochian Temple Openings, and Vice-Versa.  That is what inspired my most recent WT Rite (not original, but "mine" in the sense that I haven't seen it published before in such a manner), which I have repeatedly tweaked and fine-tuned over time with reference to source material, that I'm hoping will earn your acceptance as editor (after plenty of editing, no doubt) for publication in Solstice.

Is it, indeed, because
>"One must start somewhere, and the G.'.D.'. is a halfway decent place to start"
?

I know greentext probably doesn't work here on this forum; I'm not sure how to quote earlier parts of my own posts in the manner of greentext.

pantare

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 06:20:16 PM »
I know greentext probably doesn't work here on this forum; I'm not sure how to quote earlier parts of my own posts in the manner of greentext.
On mobile there's a "quote" button, there's likely also one on the website. This includes a timestamp, but copies the entire post, so you have to delete anything you don't want quoted.

Otherwise, you can type without spaces [ quote ] TEXT [ / quote ]

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 12:15:15 AM »
There's a sometimes red sometimes orange glowing mark in my minds eye. Being in the back of my mind is an important point, and I'm trying to describe something I don't quite have words for. It very distinctly seems to come from the depth of me, the symbolism is obvious. When I think of it, it leaps to attention quickly and lights up like a cigarette ember being dragged. It flows and fills me quickly.

This is neat.

I think this entire encounter is fairly coherent. Nothing seemed glaringly out of place.

My experiences with Lucifer were not what I expected. From what I observed, he did not respond well to conjuration. He would come at a time of his choosing, if at all.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 12:33:55 AM »
Satyr, I know you are presenting the G.'.D.'. materials, but I am somewhat surprised that you are utilizing their mixture of Hebrew and Enochian.  I suppose it's just because you have to start *somewhere*, and G.'.D.'. is a fairly well-known place to start.

So far, I have tried to (mostly) set the Enochian aside and work with the Hebrew found in 777 and the elemental grade openings of the Golden Dawn. I feel that anyone can build a perfectly functional temple structure without explicitly using Enochian, or a lot of Enochian. For many, this will be enough and, despite my own preferences, I do not necessarily encourage anyone to pursue Enochian further unless it is their will to do so. It is a personal decision and I respect that choice.

When I move on to the watchtowers proper, I will start to vere away from the Golden Dawn's conception. You'll see.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2019, 01:23:21 AM »
Looking at Liber O, it is not immediately obvious how we might ritually invoke a specific path on the “Tree of Life”. The elemental grade rituals of the Golden Dawn are of little help, either. This is actually somewhat surprising, since each grade is explicitly tied to those paths descending upon that grade's associated sephirah. Each opening invokes the element that the Golden Dawn associated with that grade's sphere, but not the paths.

Some paths are seemingly obvious, such as those associated with the signs of the zodiac. Liber O says:
“For the Zodiac use the hexagram of the planet which rules the sign you require (777, Table I, Col CXXXVIII); but draw the astrological sigil of the sign, instead of that of the planet.”

We might therefore invoke a zodiacal sign, while knowing its place on the Tree, but without needing or explicitly using that information.

Other paths seem to present a greater challenge. Consider the 23rd path, that of the Hebrew letter מ, mem, connecting the 5th and 8th spheres, Geburah and Hod. On some level, the water we associate with this path must be the same elemental water we normally associate with the west and the western watchtower. But, in practice, we need to make some sort of distinction between invoking a path and invoking an element, even when the two are nominally the same.

One method is to designate the two spheres or sephiroth connected by the path of interest before invoking the path itself. To accomplish this, we turn once again to Col V of 777, the “God-Names in Assiah”. Using path 23 as an example, we look up the god-names for the appropriate sephiroth and find them to be ALHIM GBVR and ALHIM TzBAVTH, for Geburah and Hod, respectively.

The most obvious way to designate a sephirah might be to use a hexagram, but we require a hexagram that corresponds to the sephirah, and not the planet associated with that sephirah. A possible solution is to take advantage of the Golden Dawn's attribution of the elements to the spheres.

In Col XI of 777, we find that Geburah is associated with the element of fire, and from previous posts we may recall that Hod is associated with water.

So, to explore the 23rd path, we might prepare ourselves and a suitable space as before. To our altar, we might add the appropriate tarot card, in this case the trump usually known as, “The Hanged Man”, associated with the Hebrew letter mem. Open the temple as before, with as much ceremony as seems appropriate.

Facing the altar, take up the weapon and trace the “Hexagram of Water” invoking Mercury while vibrating “Elohim Tzabaoth”. Then trace the “Hexagram of Fire” invoking Mars while vibrating “Elohim Gebur”. Having designated the two ‘ends’ of the 23rd path, trace the invoking pentagram of water while vibrating the god-name “Al”. Repeat this pentagram and god-name three more times for a total of four.

This should provide a suitable space in which to meditate upon the path of mem and the “Hanged Man”. If you have experience with astral projection, you might meditate on the tarot card itself for a while, then close your eyes and, holding the image in your mind's eye, use it as a doorway to “travel in the spirit vision” to that path.

When finished, close the temple as before. If you think it desirable to banish the path you invoked, before closing simply reverse the process. Use the god-names with banishing hexagrams and the banishing pentagram of water. One repetition this time should be sufficient.

We repeated our invoking pentagram of water four times because the letter mem represents the number 40, so four repetitions seems appropriate (forty seems excessive). The basic forms of the “Hexagram of Fire” and “Hexagram of Water” are found in Liber O, but in the “Lesser Ritual of the Hexagram” only the invoking hexagrams of Saturn are illustrated. To invoke Mars using the fire hexagram, trace the lower triangle first, clockwise, beginning at the lower-left point (attributed to Mars). Then trace the upper triangle, clockwise, beginning at the lower-right point (attributed to Venus). To invoke Mercury using the “Hexagram of Water”, trace the lower triangle first, clockwise, beginning at the lower-left point (attributed to Mercury). Then trace the upper triangle, clockwise, beginning at the upper-right point (attributed to Jupiter).

To banish, trace the triangles counter-clockwise beginning at the same points and in the same order. On the “Hexagram of Air”, the point attributed to Mars is the upper-left point of the lower triangle, and Mercury is the lower-left point of the upper triangle. I shall leave working out the remaining planets of the three forms as an exercise for the student. The seven invoking and seven banishing forms of the “Hexagram of Earth” are illustrated in Liber O. In all cases, begin the first triangle at the point associated with the desired planet, then trace the second triangle beginning at the planet opposite. For our purposes here, Saturn is opposite Luna; Jupiter is opposite Mercury; and Mars is opposite Venus. For Chokmah and Kether, we might use the hexagram of Saturn.

When exploring the paths associated with the planets (Key Scales 12-14, 21, 27, 30, and 32 of 777), we encounter a different problem. The method we used for invoking the path of mem may be easily adapted to invoking a planetary path by substituting the appropriate invoking hexagram and god-name for the invoking pentagram. The problem is that the Golden Dawn's attributions of the planets to the letters of the Hebrew alphabet, and consequently their attributions of the planets to the paths of the Tree, are almost certainly wrong. There is a table illustrating the problem at this site.

How and why the Golden Dawn made this mistake is beyond the scope of this post. Their assignment of the Hebrew letters to the paths of the Tree seems workable. The attributions of the planets to the letters, however, are more likely to be as follows:

Beth, “house”: Saturn
Gimel, possibly gamlu, “throwing stick”: Jupiter
Dalet, “door” (or *dag, “fish”): Mars
Kaph, “palm of the hand”: Sol
Peh, probably “a builder's square”: Venus
Resh, “head”: Mercury
Taw, possibly from Egyptian “mark”: Luna
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 02:56:42 AM by Satyr »

pantare

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 02:38:22 AM »
Coincidentally, I entered the path of Shin, 31, a few hours ago. Having not read Satyr's new post, I used a different method. Here's my experience followed by an analysis.

LBRP, LBRH, Bornless, Opening by Watchtower. Sitting in the south I invoke Michael under the enochian southern tablet names OIP TEAA PDOCE, the divine name of Hod ALHIM TZBAVT, the divine name of fire ALHIM, the divine name used in the southern earth pentagram ADNI, and finally Michael's own name MIKAL. It was muggy out, and today the planetary day of Monday, the connection to Michael was noticeably weak. After a short interview, he directed me to the path of Shin which connects Malkuth and Hod.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 02:48:44 AM »
It was muggy out, and today the planetary day of Monday, the connection to Michael was noticeably weak. After a short interview, he directed me to the path of Shin which connects Malkuth and Hod.

That sounds reasonable.

pantare

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 02:52:19 AM »
Reading Satyr's directions, I think I got lucky with Shin as it isn't planetary or zodiacal, and I have no experience invoking planets and the signs. I stuck only to pentagrams because that's what was in my toolkit.

I should have used the divine names of both Malkuth and Hod to set up the path. Instead, I used the invoking spirit pentagram with Rending the Portal, invoking fire, invoking earth in the south, and all appropriate godnames. I had already also used the divine name of Hod multiple times while invoking Michael.

So I sat and imagine a light above my head connected to me by a silver cord. I felt myself as the light, and pushed upwards until I entered my temple. The floor is checkered (very unoriginal of my mind), and I entered through the pillars of the Tree of Life Boaz and Jachin.

Taking the godform of Michael, modeled after the statue of St. Michel, I saw a stone gate bearing the hebrew letter Shin. Using Michael's sword, blazing, I drew an invoking fire pentagram over the door, and was pulled through.

Before continuing, I should mention a brief journey into Shin about a week ago. After a short and sloppy invocation of Michael, I astrally projectes into the temple and through the gate bearing Shin. I landed in a grassy path, and the sky was orange and yellow. I walked and slowly the world around me was consumed in flames. I came upon a great tree, and saw it burning. I couldn't go further, and returned to my body.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:06:34 AM by pantare »

pantare

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 03:05:59 AM »
Writing as I saw the vision. I return through the gate and stab the sword into the ground. The world is screaming, and I see that I began the fire which lit the great (see: huge) tree. I am unsure of what to do, and think to Michael. Somehow, I decide to pierce my heart with his sword, and scream as I begin to burn. I burn away entirely leaving only a sphere of white. A burning white heat comes from my core and washes out the flames around me. The sword has become a bar of solid white heat. From my notes:
This is a greater fire.

I used this sword to pierce the ground again, and consume the burning world in white. But the tree still burns in the red flames, intact from the light. I point up and ask
Who is like God?

And understand. I take the blade again, and pierce it through heart and into the tree. The sword connects my core to the tree, and rather than burning away in white light, the tree blossoms. Before, it was old and dry.
I am like God. Sacrificed.

The tree bears fruit, and I eat it. My body is restored from being burned, as is the whole world. The path is grassy again. I return to the temple, and stab the checkered floor with the still white blade. Everything becomes white, then shrinks into black.

In my body, I draw the silver cord into myself, and banish with LRP. Analysis follows.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:38:05 AM by pantare »

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2019, 03:07:56 AM »
Reading Satyr's directions, I think I got lucky with Shin as it isn't planetary or zodiacal, as I have no experience invoking planets and the signs. I stuck only to pentagrams because that's what was in my toolkit.

I think it's important to remember that there are no absolute, right-or-wrong answers here. The methods we use are, for the most part, mere conventions. What is required is that they be relatively consistent and intelligible to ourselves. Ultimately, we are just creating and employing a symbol set that allows us to conveniently encode our intent.

And thank you for sharing.

pantare

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2019, 03:23:45 AM »
I'm sorry that this reads so stream of consciousness. I have very little astral projection or visionary experience, nothing other than a few trips to my checkered temple.

Overall, I noticed that I didn't "feel" the experience. It was like watching myself, even when burning and screaming. And yet, I had to choose actions, and see them. I didn't describe the pauses for writing, or when I wasn't sure of what to do. The narrative couldn't progress until I figured out an action. I'm not sure if any choices other than the ones I made were possible.

As for the content. The experience is very apocalyptic. I'm not well studied in the Bible, my family wasn't religious, but I believe I recognize the world being consumed by flames. It fits that the tarot trump is named Judgement, and this was like judgement day. Yet in this case, I lit everything. I saw myself as the source of the lesser elemental fire.

Upon piercing myself, I burned away everything but the light at my core that was greater and hotter than the elemental fire. This is Shin. Fire in two parts, lesser as the element, and greater as spirit. Everything that wasn't the core, being my self or ego burned away. That's an interpretation, as I very much still possess my ego.

And the light washed away everything but the tree. In pinning myself to the tree, I thought of the crucifixion, and became like God in self sacrifice. Yet the tree returned to life, now connected to light, and blossomed. In a sense, the sacrifice was empty, for I returned and the tree redeemed. Yet there was change by the act.

In the end, everything was returned to place. I understand Shin better, I saw myself resurrect. Yet I don't see what this experiences means in the greater context of my life. I felt quite good, and still do, but I don't see how or even if my existence has changed. Or how I can use this magically. Maybe time will tell. I still owe Michael an invocation, and I will likely return to Shin to see if there's any more.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:14:13 AM by pantare »

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2019, 06:48:34 AM »
Pantare...

Here's my record of scrying the seal of Shin (Mercurial) from 231: https://z.lvxnox.com/z/magick/records/7-06-2014

Notice the parallels.

Also re: pathwork and such, Satyr, how does one persist in a visionary state for longer than say, 20-40 minutes? Or slow things down so they may be all written? I find that I get completely overloaded with rapid, bursting movements and sensations, and a lot I can't seem to manage to get them all down on paper. Not even with a scribe - it's like a flurry of words which starts, and doesn't stop.

I'll be trying with my phone today, hopefully it doesn't die/ break/ fuck up like the last half a dozen times I've tried to record my visions.
Which actually happens with just the LRBP as well. I haven't tried since... mid 2015, though. So maybe things have changed?

But to get back on topic - my method for pathworking was to get the seals of the genii from 231, and the Tarot cards appropriate to the path. Then XXV, and invoke using the proper verse and name from the book. Then I'd 'scry' the tarot card, which I held in my left hand level with my eyes, and writing with the right. Once the image was 'established' in my mind's eye, I'd just let it play out - and more often than not it would turn into a gate, which I'd be able to pass through.

When that didn't happen, I would re-start and use the tarot card as the door itself - more often than not, split in two halves, opening outwards (I don't know why that's significant, but it feels significant).

pantare

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2019, 02:06:25 PM »
Hey thanks for posting the link Surgo. Reading the similarities makes me more confident in my experience.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »
In the end, everything was returned to place. I understand Shin better, I saw myself resurrect. Yet I don't see what this experiences means in the greater context of my life.

If interested, such visions can be used as suitable objects for meditation. You are supposed to be sitting anyway. Meditation on a puzzling image will eventually unlock its meaning in relation to you and your trip.

I felt quite good, and still do, but I don't see how or even if my existence has changed.

It is better than feeling bad, and you seem to be moving forward. That is all the gauge we have, really.

Michael can be a hard-ass. The cheesey Santo candles work well, too, especially when combined with appropriately timed ritual. The thing about Michael is that he is a fighter. If you call him, and there is nothing to fight, he will find something.

And, while we are in the neighborhood, there is no shame in incorporating elements of Santo cults, Santeria, Vodou, and the like, into your praxis. So long as you treat the tradition from which you are borrowing with all due respect, they do not seem to mind.

Everyone loves Legba. He is a much friendlier Mercury.