SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Student Curriculum  (Read 141 times)

wellrod

Student Curriculum
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »
Is anyone else working through the A∴A∴ student reading list at the moment? I've read a few of them previously but figured I might as well try and read through them all in order in the 3 months it recommends. Also does anyone have any recommendations as to a path after that stage? I have a view toward self initiating but I'm still figuring out what that may entail.

Surgo

• Administrator
Re: Student Curriculum
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
While you're doing this, start a practice of LBRP or Resh. The two are largely equivalent in my experience (although the LBRP is preferable if you're following it up with ritual). If you want something more elaborate, follow Resh up with Ruby and Reguli.

Also Read Liber 185, and 13, as it lays out the tasks and expectations of the path.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
I don't think you need anything that “elaborate”. For now, you don't need Star Ruby or Reguli.

Keeping an adequate journal is very important.

I prefer the short reading list in Book 4, Part II. It's compact and to the point.

wellrod

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the guidance, I've been meaning to start up a LBRP routine and Resh seems like it would be more than a little helpful in keeping the ship on the right course if nothing else.

Also what are others opinions on the claims Crowley makes in the beginning of Goetia re: them being representative of parts of the brain? It seems a bit of a hardline stance to take on the matter but I'd love to hear others opinions. Also as a side note I appreciate the humour in Crowley claiming he had no interest in the Goetia as "[He] has all the health, treasure and logic [he] needs."

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 02:24:12 PM »
Also what are others opinions on the claims Crowley makes in the beginning of Goetia re: them being representative of parts of the brain?

Crowley was attempting to sell the idea of magic to a more-or-less rational, educated audience. It's a plausible explanation, at least at first glance, but there's no particular reason to think he actually believed it.

Crayola.880

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
I'm re-reading both Shiva Samhita and Tao Te Ching - Crowley's version this time as well as another translation that is new to me.
I've been studying selections from the list(s) and forming regular but simple ritual practice slowly at my own pace for some time. 

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »
Tao Te Ching - Crowley's version this time as well as another translation that is new to me.

Be aware that Crowley never translated the Tao Te Ching. He read an English translation, then rewrote it saying what he thought it should say. It wasn't even a good translation.

Mitchell did the same, only with more translations.

Crayola.880

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 12:06:06 AM »
He read an English translation, then rewrote it.

I guess I should say AC's repackaging of Legge's translation.  I got this copy a few years back and was disappointed when I first tried reading it, as it was quite a departure from what I remembered reading years ago. I borrowed somebody's B&N classics copy  so that I could start reading them side by side to compare differences, and have legge's original from sacred-texts.com

I'm finding it easier to read this time around, as the butcher shock has worn off and I have more of a mind to see what he's trying to convey with it.

Regarding Tao Te Ching itself, do you have any suggestions for well done english translation? 

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
I have more than one favorite, as no translation is wholly adequate. At the top of the list is probably Addiss and Lombardo:

https://terebess.hu/english/tao/addiss.html

It's just beautifully done, and remains fairly true to the original. In fact, I use their Ch 40 as a quick check on other translations:

Reversal is Tao's movement.
Yielding is Tao's practice.
All things originate from being.
Being originates from non-being.

That's quite close to the original and, if a translation deviates significantly, it's suspect.

It's very wordy, but Arthur Waley's, The Way and Its Power, is quite good. He does a good job reconstructing and interpreting the text.

But I have maybe a dozen translations, and others have their merits. Red Pine's is interesting, so is that by Gia Fu Fang. If you really want to study the text, though, it pays to approach the original. Ancient Chinese isn't that hard, though the Tao Te Ching is a deeply problematic text.

Crayola.880

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
Tao Te Ching is a deeply problematic text.
Thank you very much for the input and the chapter 40 example. This Addiss/Lombardo translation is wonderfully clear and concise, it's a great addition for helping to grasp the material when taken next to the other versions i'm working with. I had a chuckle at chapter 28 where legge/crowley clocked 130 words to Addiss/Lombardo's 78, particularly in light of the last two sentences:
Legge/Crowley:
Yea, they shall hail in thee this Excellence, eternal, simple and perfect, of the Child.
The raw material, wrought into form, produceth vessels. So the sage King formulateth his Wholeness in divers Offices; and his Law is without violence or constraint.

Addiss/Lombardo
Return to simplicity.
Simplicity divided becomes utensils That are used by the Sage as high official. But great governing does not carve up.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
You're most welcome.

Crayola.880

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 01:26:16 AM »
I have a view toward self initiating but I'm still figuring out what that may entail.

speaking of self initiating, i had a dream yesterday that involved digging around in a box looking for something, where I found a book entitled "Preparing for ThROA" that bore visual/superficial resemblance to one of my Scholem books on Kabbalah. I think this was one of the only times I've read text in a dream, I can't recall it happening as clearly before.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 01:36:56 AM by Crayola.880 »

Crayola.880

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 06:00:04 AM »
I just finished C's Tannhauser; Is it just me or does Legis heavily echo Tannhauser in places?  They were written rather close together timewise.

SeLaH

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 08:50:15 PM »
Perhaps this is not the appropriate thread, and a new one is in order; however, this is directed at Satyr:  Do I interpret what you've said in the past correctly when I state that RE: Enochian, there are many ways to flesh out the skeleton with which we were provided?  That is how I interpreted parts of our previous discussions; that is what my limited experiences thereafter seem to indicate.

Surgo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 09:36:39 PM »
Not speaking for Satyr (I want to be real clear that my experience is limited to just a few Aethyrs), but my experience indicates more that there's a point where you're overcome by an existential imperative, and when you follow through, They appear, and things get really fucky.

So I'm not sure that we're meant to flesh it out -- rather, it seems that they adjust their communications to be intelligible to us, something that doesn't appear to have happened in Dee's case -- likely because he had dedicated loads of his time to cryptography, and so his given system was transmitted in his own tongue.