Solstice is ready to accept pitches! Post here to get access:
https://osoaa.org/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Author Topic: Ceremonial Magic 101  (Read 7303 times)

Satyr

• Global Moderator
Re: Ceremonial Magic 101
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
In the LBRP it says "Say (i.e. vibrate)". Does this mean both are fine?

The abbreviation “ie” stands in place of the Latin phrase “id est”, often translated into English as, “in other words”.

So, the above means we vibrate.

Or is the sign of the Enterer a necessity?

I believe it certainly helps.

I always treated the pentagrams themselves as the 'portal' through which the forces can enter, rather than anything else.

That can be true. In the LRP you seem to be projecting the force of the divine name of each quarter through such a portal.

But particularly as we build up more complex rituals a drawn figure by itself will not be sufficient to designate a particular desired force or entity.

Most magical techniques are merely an encoding of intent. “I want this particular element or elemental with the following characteristics and no other.” Drawn figures can be and are used as portals. They are also symbols chosen from a defined set and mapped onto our metaphysical universe as needed that we may accurately encode intent.

It also occurs to me that we don't have particular forms (「stands」?) for the Abrahamic Gods.

We could have forms. We could investigate the west-semitic  pantheons and mine their imagery and iconography. A lot might be done.

We also have deoforms for the sephiroth and divine names for each in 777, for example.

It's rather strange that one would mix Horus in with all those, in my mind.

I see the Egyptiana that runs through Crowley's material as an artifact of his time. Modern occultists have been besotted by Egypt and all things Egyptian, both real and imagined, for centuries. I don't take it too seriously. If Egyptian appeals to you, follow Ebony's example and pursue the real thing.

Crayola.880

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 02:12:45 AM »
It also occurs to me that we don't have particular forms (「stands」?) for the Abrahamic Gods. It's rather strange that one would mix Horus in with all those, in my mind.

Now that you mention it, I agree. 

We could have forms. We could investigate the west-semitic  pantheons and mine their imagery and iconography. A lot might be done.

We also have deoforms for the sephiroth and divine names for each in 777, for example.

And this sounds like an interesting avenue to explore.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »
“Cleanliness is next to godliness”, as Wesley said, and we should be wise to heed his words as we approach our ceremonial work. Bathing immediately before rituals is highly recommended. Among other things being physically and symbolically clean can help prevent anything undesirable ‘sticking’ to us in the course of our work.

The old grimoires offer some advice for our ceremonial ablutions. The Goetia suggests we have

… fair water to wash yrselves in. & in so doeing yu are to say as david said (viz)

Thou shalt purge me wth Hysop o Lord, & I shall be cleane; Thou shalt wash me & I shall be whiter than snow &c

In Latin, that last bit of scripture reads (Psalmi 50, 9): “asparges me hysopo et mundabor lavabis me et super nivem dealbabor”. Utilizing a liturgical language like Latin can often help set the mood. Some might want to add, “asparges me Adonai…”. A Thelemite might use, “asparges me Therion…”, or “…purge me with hysop O Therion…”. If you already know the name of your angel, use that instead. I have at times used actual hyssop in my preparations, simmering the dried leaves in a small quantity of water, then adding the liquid to my bath.

And if you don't have access to, or time for, a bath or shower? Ritually washing your hands and feet, mouth and genitals with “fair water” as a bare minimum should be enough.

Once we have rinsed away the grime of this naughty world, what shall we put on? As usual it depends on what is available. Ideally, we would put on a clean robe specifically for ritual work. A simple T-shape is the most common design. But in the absence of a robe, clean clothes should do. For the beginner, clean street clothes might even be preferable. With burning candles and charcoal it's fairly easy for a robe to catch fire.

In any case, Peter of Abano in The Heptameron suggests that as we dress we should pray,

Ancor, Amacor, Amides, Theodonias, Anitor, by the merits of thy Angel, O Lord, I will put on the Garments of Salvation, that this which I desire I may bring to effect: through thee the most holy Adonay, whose kingdom endureth for ever and ever. Amen.

Of course, if you prefer, you do not have to wear clothing at all.

None of this need be followed slavishly. Other texts or prayers may be substituted as appropriate and desired. Or some might prefer silent meditation as they wash and dress. As usual, what matters is that we make an effort wherever possible to distance ourselves and our ritual space from our everyday existence.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 04:59:45 PM by Satyr »

Shaula

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
one really dumb tip I have that seems like common sense but really isn't is to physically clean your ritual space, especially if it is your room. Spirits don't like mess

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 06:38:08 AM »
Having worked ritual in horrible depression and squalor... I really don't think they care in the slightest.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 05:14:29 PM »
one really dumb tip I have that seems like common sense but really isn't is to physically clean your ritual space, especially if it is your room. Spirits don't like mess

This is very important and thank you.

Yes. This is especially true of foodstuffs. If you feed something, you want to do it deliberately. Don't leave half-eaten pizza crusts lying about. Seems like common sense, but then again I was at university and pig sties happen.

I feel like spiritual and temple hygiene might be a subject of its own. “Spirits don't like mess ”, sums it up pretty well, though.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 05:21:31 PM »
Having worked ritual in horrible depression and squalor... I really don't think they care in the slightest.

Yeah, I don't doubt that experience. But those are probably extreme circumstances. In general, when we can make an effort, it is probably beneficial to do so.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »
This goes back to what we consider 'making an effort'. Do the spirits care about our mental state? If yes, then to what degree?
If not, then the ritual space is more of a mental play on ourselves, rather than to make the spirits comfy. After all, each blade of grass has its own angel, who are we to know what they're into?
Just saying "spirits like clean" brings along with it a myriad issues that are best left to the individual to decide.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
Do the spirits care about our mental state? If yes, then to what degree?
If not, then the ritual space is more of a mental play on ourselves, rather than to make the spirits comfy. …
Just saying "spirits like clean" brings along with it a myriad issues that are best left to the individual to decide.

It seems like you are having difficulty deciding between a psychological and a spiritual model, really.

Suppose the spirits don't care. What exactly is gained by putting less effort into the ritual? What individual decision process leads to that outcome?

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 07:00:21 PM »
I don't see that there's necessarily a divide between one and the other - I use both.

The way I *think* everything comes together is that Spirits are indeed external, non-physical (i.e. supernatural) beings which represent an underlying hierarchy in this universe (and possibly others). They communicate by means of telepathy, which is largely inaccessible to us in our 'normal' everyday mindstate.

This means that our mental state is only relevant during the workings themselves, and our surroundings only relevant at the time they appear.

Given the telepathy argument, I feel that they don't care. A good (from their perspective) guy might have the worst possible set-up, and a bad guy can have the most wonderful temple. Either way they KNOW what's going on, so there's no purpose to putting on a show.

And there's nothing *gained* by putting in less effort - less effort is, in fact, not what I mean. What I mean is that there's a tradeoff, and it's not always worth it getting that 5% improvement for 50% more effort.

wellrod

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:21 PM »
The cleanliness thing to me would seem to come down to common courtesy and respect more than anything to me. I have invited my parents to all sorts of disorderly, borderline filthy houses I've lived in through the years and they definitely still turned up, but they definitely didn't want to spend too much time hanging around. Same goes for personal hygiene. I feel like if having to clean up your ritual space is the thing preventing you from working it could probably be ignored to some degree, but it's never going to be a bad idea to tidy up when you've invited guests, telepathic or otherwise. This is all coming from a guy who hasn't knowingly had two-way dialogue with spirits though so I'm happy to be wrong.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2019, 12:21:57 AM »
They communicate by means of telepathy, which is largely inaccessible to us in our 'normal' everyday mindstate.

This may be.

This means that our mental state is only relevant during the workings themselves, and our surroundings only relevant at the time they appear.

I do not believe this necessarily follows from the above. On either the spiritual or the psychological model the angels know what we know. Therefore, if they can have a preference, their judgement of our behavior cannot be limited to the time they appear.

This agrees with their interactions with Dee.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2019, 12:33:25 AM »
The cleanliness thing to me would seem to come down to common courtesy and respect more than anything to me.

I think this is a reasonable way of looking at it.

I am fairly certain that the physical arrangement of our environment has an impact on our metaphysical world. I remember watching a first-rate sorcerer go through a building and rearrange its contents into a defensive configuration. If you watched carefully, you could see the subtle changes. It was fascinating. And quite unfathomable.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »
I do not believe this necessarily follows from the above. On either the spiritual or the psychological model the angels know what we know. Therefore, if they can have a preference, their judgement of our behavior cannot be limited to the time they appear.

This agrees with their interactions with Dee.

Sure. Which is in line with what I'm saying. Having a temple and keeping it up is a large investment of time and effort (to me, at least, given that my daily energy levels are still significantly below what most people's is), and were I to do so, I'd only feel like a fraud. There's a time and space for everything, and most of the time, a temple is far from needed.

And seeing the reply on /x/, yes, I do mean physical temples. I've no doubt they matter, but... 80% of success hinges on 20% of the work. In this case, I'd say it's even more skewed towards 95/5, with a particular emphasis on getting communication in the first place.

That's in line with what you were saying about Enochian beings - they help us if it's in their best interest to do so. Since it's their interest as well, we're looking at a business transaction in which we don't know what they want (I don't, at least). For them to be talking to me while my mind's a mess, and my life is barely hanging on by a thread... they must be wanting something significant, or think I'll play some important part in the future.

Either way works for me, although I am reluctant to believe that's the case, as I had issues with that kind of delusion in the past.

Crayola.880

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »

If they don't interact with time the same way we do, this might not be the case. 

And there's nothing *gained* by putting in less effort - less effort is, in fact, not what I mean. What I mean is that there's a tradeoff, and it's not always worth it getting that 5% improvement for 50% more effort.

As regards cleanliness/orderliness in temple space I kind of think of it like client/customer/supplier/etc relations.  A clean desk goes a long way even if it's not the actual focus of the meeting you have with somebody in your office.  I've had the flavour of ritual experience be drastically different during periods of depression or disorderliness.  Not necessarily less effective at bringing about some kind of interactive experience, but viewed through a distinctly different colored lens.  A modicum of orderliness and effort in any area is as much for my benefit as it is for the benefit of anything I may be interacting with.  Cleaner, clearer over all experience.