Arcanum Adytum is up - looking for contributors!
http://ArcanumAdytum.org

Author Topic: Introduction to OSOA∴A∴  (Read 4001 times)

Nubti

• Administrator
Introduction to OSOA∴A∴
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »
3-16-15 e.v.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

The One True A∴A∴ is dead.  Long live the One True A∴A∴!

Recently, factionalism has been rampant. Factionalism over a series of questions about legitimacy that have overtaken much of rational discourse.

Germer’s death left many questions. There are no clear answers. Documents have appeared in the last few years trying to state their sides in matters, but without clear chains of authoritative (not lineal) succession we are left in a minefield. A number of groups have a legitimate chain of modes of recognition, but this speaks little of their Work.

In any case we are engaged, at some level, in necrophagia. We seek not to abrogate, but to breathe new life into a stagnant and moribund selection of study and practice. In the tradition of other groups, we seek to open the so called mysteries, for that veil is indeed the enemy of truth.

Liber LXI vel Causae

At present we are not an outer manifestation of the inner order, we are not a lineage of the A∴A∴.

This is an evolving experiment.

We feel that large amounts of the study and practice of the Ordo G.’.D.’. can be accomplished in a much more public manner. We also feel that The Master Therion only rectified some of the problems that led to factionalism and chaos. It has been our observation that much hysteria has been made of grade claims.

Late in The Master Therion’s life, he began to question the format of the OTO as a method of delivery of the mysteries. Given the inactivity of the A∴A∴ at the time, and that the OTO was described in MWT as a solitary venture, it becomes clear that the modern situation surrounding the A∴A∴ has come from clinging to Old Aeon concepts. 1909 was very different from 2015. The system Our Prophet devised could barely anticipate the rise of the home radio, let alone a massive global network connecting most humans to one another no matter the distance, on which is stored the collective wisdom of humanity. Some claimants to the leadership of the A∴A∴ are sorely neglecting this fact.

How we’re going to do this: Other A∴A∴ models appear to be predicated mostly on authority and organization. Again, this appears to be a relic of 1909. We are a system. The occult community has always been a system. This is what’s so grating about the often asserted division between eclecticism and synchretism based on the amount of people doing it. We’re always adding. The community is always growing. That the temporal manifestation of A∴A∴ has not adapted to this is staggering.

Given that we are a system, we should probably be looking at systems theory of management.

Governing body: Feeds into throughputs of Curriculum. Accepts feedback from output (Fellow Aspirants and criticism of work).  Throughputs: Curriculum, website. Process is two way. Governing body and aspirants both shape the content thereon, directing people toward avenues of possible interest.  Aspirants: Influence the world around them, express feedback directly to the GB, and contribute to the Solstice.

This will not happen overnight.

Love is the law, love under will.

In the name of Our Lady

~Fr. R∴229

-----------
Reposted from the old forums -- I ain't R.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
Re: Introduction to OSOA∴A∴
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 01:57:27 AM »
I cringe reading this.

Germer's death created a crisis for OTO, not AA. Confusing the two does not speak well of the author, or inspire confidence in his conclusions.

YMMV.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »
Well, perhaps K should revise it. He wrote it originally. I don't have a problem with it, personally, as it does actually address the important point: the politicking and lack of ideological coherence.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »
…it does actually address the important point: the politicking and lack of ideological coherence.
What does "ideological coherence" mean in the context of A∴A∴?

I think one problem is the focus on Germer and Motta. Germer had a reasonably valid claim. Motta never did. Phyllis and Grady successfully stole the OTO, but they couldn't steal an A∴A∴ lineage. Neither were legitimate claimants. The same is thus true of the College of Thelema.

When discussion is limited to those three or four lines, the crisis seems obvious, and more than a bit comical. And rather sad. But it's also something of a straw man.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »
I think ideological coherence in this context means not just the common political meaning of the word, but the broader context of the A.'.A.'., the 'brotherhood of man', the search for Truth with a capital 'T'.

It's very easy to find out where they got sidetracked by simply looking for the moment where they ceased pursuing God/ Enlightenment/ Perspective/ Understanding (however we define those words), and focused instead of the machinations of 333, the drama of being 'human'. Assuming they ever pursued Truth in the first place.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »
I suppose the underlying ideology of A∴A∴ is best expressed in The Equinox, Vol I, No 3, “An Account of A∴A∴” One must overlook Crowley's heroic feats of auto-fellatio, of course, but the germ of the founding ideals are to be found there. It is also wise to read von Eckartshausen and compare the two.

I am unsure how plausible such claims seem to the modern eye. I suspect it all appears rather quaint. Yet he speaks the truth, so far as I am aware. Crowley's A∴A∴ is, or was, but an outward manifestation of something else.

Whether Crowley's A∴A∴ survives today may be irrelevant, as K suggested. I happen to believe it does. Whether this little endeavor becomes the next link in that chain is really in our hands.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 12:07:07 AM »
Well, I've no doubt in my mind that the A.'.A.'. as a hierarchical organization is dead, a soulless shell. It never really got off the ground in the first place. So when I say A.'.A.'., I speak largely of attainment, not in the sense of having passed examinations or having had experiences, but rather the unique perspective gained through meticulous study and observation of magickal phenomena.

That might, or might not, align with the 'something else' you'd mentioned. In my own experience, I have no doubt there's a role for me to play in this.

I suppose the most relevant and productive thing I can contribute here is that we should think of this group more as a (counter) intelligence group focused on promoting a common ideology, striving for capital 'T' Truth, rather than settling for the first, second, or n-th explanation handed to us by Mr. C.

Organizing through disorder. Both difficult to break (since any chunk taken out doesn't debilitate the rest of the group), and very quick to adapt (since hierarchical structures, both vertical and horizontal, rely on indirect communication through 'official channels').

I feel that's one of the reasons why Crowley's take on the A.'.A.'. failed. Had there not been a clear hierarchical structure based on initiation/ lineage, but rather strict ideological agreement, we'd be living in a very different world today.

So then, what can we unanimously consider to be the ideology of A.'.A.'.?

I'd wager on something like...

Truth, Integrity, Duty.

Which are the fundamental principles of any righteous group, in high alignment with my own values. Very much reminiscent of the Polish "God, Honor, Fatherland" slogan.

But, I'm stoned on dramamine to make this depressive episode somewhat more bearable, so all of this might well be completely off the mark. Thoughts?

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »
Crowley's A∴A∴ survived into the 1980s, at least. His project didn't exactly fail, and I offer as evidence this conversation we're having. We should never have found one another had it not been for Grady McMurtry.

Grady published the Thoth deck, which included a card advertising his Caliphate OTO. That card is what drew me to the San Francisco Bay and Thelema Lodge. My experience there produced The Black Lodge of Santa Cruz, which, among other things, brought K and I together on /x/ of all God-forsaken places.

That's where you come in, and ultimately all of this.

Behind Grady and Thelema Lodge stands Agape Lodge. Agape would have folded were it not for former members of the Choronzon Club. And through all this winds a lineage depending from Frater Achad, recognized as Master and A∴A∴ by Ol' Bullet Head himself. The frater who introduced me stands at the end of that chain.

You ask for truth. To the best of my knowledge, the above are the facts of how we came to be here. Whether you find truth in that causal chain is for you to decide.

There has certainly been a dearth of personal integrity in this whole sordid affair, from Crowley down to our own personal experience. I am unconvinced Thelema as such promotes integrity. I can see the argument, but I can also readily discern the real-world results.

As for duty, I never wanted to be involved with any occult group, in any capacity, ever again. I never wanted a student, or to be anyone's teacher. I didn't even want anything to do with my own teacher. Yet I feel duty-bound to pass the torch just the same.

If we can be said to have a duty, in the context of A∴A∴, it is to realize our own full potential, and in turn to provide others with the tools, vocabulary, and guidance to realize their full potential. If this project can aid in that grand design, then I think we can call it a success.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 07:14:49 PM »
Agreed on all counts. My argument against the A.'.A.'. succeeding is the fact that through all these things, it hasn't shown signs of success. Is us talking right now evidence of success?

I doubt it. For the last few months I've been in and out of major depressive episodes, I've lost all but one spark of will to live, and the only thing that keeps me going is, against all odds, a feeling that "everything will eventually be okay".

I find it very difficult to consider that a success. Then there's the Motta affair, and all the shit with Gunther/ Breeze. Is that what success looks like?

Sure, the lineage/ tradition of dutifully realizing one's potential is there, and the supernaturally enforced prophesies and events... but that's all part of S.S., and I find it very difficult to justify to myself that the A.'.A.'. has succeeded as a vessel for it.

My understanding might be a bit simplistic, but I see 'representatives' (if we can call it that) of the S.S. all around -- they appear as such, do their task, and just like that, they're back to being a regular human. And when asked why they did that particular thing, all they have are shallow excuses.

Being a product of the A.'.A.'. system, having put in almost 8 years now on that alone, I can't honestly say that it's succeeded. There's far too much evidence to the contrary. And while one might say "but there's this small number of successes!"... does that justify the casualties of reckless, and irresponsible recruitment?

Those who have ears to hear, will. Those with eyes, will see. I don't feel that there is necessity for recruitment, when providence provides ample opportunity to just 'stumble' onto interesting people. Funnily enough, that's what happened with Crowley, and during his time, while there were issues, they were much more limited and benign.

But now... we have a lineage proclaiming itself the One and Only, while they've let a rapist and a murderer into their fold.

It boggles the mind.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »
Motta never had a legitimate claim to A∴A∴ and he wasn't the sort of person who would let that stop him. That his students are now black brothers squatting atop the ruins of the Caliphate is hardly surprising when considered in that light.

Crowley's line of A∴A∴ will not have wholly failed until those at the end of that line pass out of this world without a student who has also crossed.

What you call “representatives” might also be called “angels”, sometimes even “archangels”, and certainly play a part in all this. Those of us who play this game don't call ourselves servants of the light for nothing.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 06:34:13 AM »
And yet, I find it difficult to tell; my perspective is warped and twisted out of shape.

Motta's claim is as good as any as far as temporal, physical and societal organizations go.

The difference is spirit. But then one needs ask, how did a genuinely good organization/ structure/ group start mingling with such low-lives? Is it the inevitable corruption of all that is good?

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 04:43:55 PM »
Motta's claim is as good as any as far as temporal, physical and societal organizations go.

No, it wasn't. Motta wasn't even an adept, when Germer died. As above, because Germer passed without having a student who crossed, even as he had crossed, his line died with him.

And that is setting aside whether tertiary syphilis had adversely impaired his judgement in accepting Motta as a student, or successor, or anything else.

But then one needs ask, how did a genuinely good organization/ structure/ group start mingling with such low-lives? Is it the inevitable corruption of all that is good?

Reversal is Dao's movement.

We might also view it through a Zoroastrian lens of light vs darkness, though with caution. The /omg/ threads have ample examples of darkness, people who fight the very idea of adeptship tooth and claw. And there's Gunther. He functions much as the lamb in the 20th æthyr, a deceitful spirit actively leading others astray.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »
As I said, as far as temporal, physical and societal organizations go. Let's look at virtually any political party. They get an idea, or they take it from somewhere, and run with it. There's far too many people claiming lineage where they have none, and most often it's taken at face value. Particularly with "representatives" of eastern traditions.

Of course, I'm not defending his lack of real lineage, but it was surely a sign of things to come -- I suppose a parallel to Theosophist's failures in that regard.

As far as Gunther, I feel that's a signal of the light receding back into the void. Those with eyes to see, and all that.

Satyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
A∴A∴ is not a political party. It cannot be reasonably compared to a political party. Unlike the OTO, it's not some club or association one joins. This misconception, along with the usual human frailties, is part of why there are so many false claimants.

The light withdrew from the Caliphate decades ago. I even wrote a book about it. Gunther is something different.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 12:27:30 AM »
Oh, definitely. However again, I was speaking of the actual, hierarchical structure called A.'.A.'., as distinct from the supernal element. Please do not misunderstand -- the A.'.A.'. as it exists right now is little more than a political tool for those who yell the loudest. That's what I was addressing.

The A.'.A.'. as a vehicle for providence (or divine will, if that's more accurate) is an entirely different beast.