Solstice is ready to accept pitches! Post here to get access:
https://osoaa.org/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Author Topic: Is a Literature Review a Good Idea?  (Read 86 times)

saltonaslug

Is a Literature Review a Good Idea?
« on: October 19, 2019, 04:33:56 AM »
Is a literature discussion board a good idea?

As someone who does not live near a functioning arm of the O.T.O. and someone has made the conscious decision not to associate with the “traditional” A.’.A.’., I’m facing some issues in my path. Specifically, I’m running into a wall here with the literature I’m reading/drowning in solo. I don’t have anyone to bounce ideas or interpretations of this stuff off of, and beyond that, I don’t have anyone to ask specific questions to directly except for random people on the internet- and it seems like the will to help is running short in a few places out there. I do not have a IRL mentor at the moment, either. Beyond this, I know I cannot be the only one with questions lurking on this forum.

Now, as someone who hasn’t gone through the A.’.A.’.’s course of study firsthand, I’d really like to ask for other opinions about this and hopefully some more advanced individuals can weigh in. I know the A.’.A.’. And Thelemic philosophy in general really places an emphasis on developing your own personal relationship with the source material, but I don’t think that’s to say we can’t talk about facts in a general sense- especially in the absence of a “traditional” superior or instructor for this sort of thing (like I’m sure many of us on here are experiencing). So I’d kind of like to get other opinions on this proposal:

A book discussion section within the forum. Not a list of readable or related materials, but instead a dedicated section of the forums in which each thread is focused on a different book, and the concepts/ideas presented in them are discussed and analyzed up close and in depth. Ideally, whenever possible, questions would be answered by pointing the student in the right direction or citing other literature, rather than feeding them answers- but I suppose we’ll see how the mechanics of such a thing will play out when it comes down to brass tacks. We would have to find some way to prevent this forum from devolving into the spoonfeeding of information...

Let me know if you think this is closer to heresy in the face of enlightenment or a much needed up-date to an out-dated system. 

With all love,
Salty

Nubti

• Administrator
Re: Is a Literature Review a Good Idea?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
I am all for it, most definitely. The question is, do you think we should start with just threads in the General Discussion sessions, and split them off later, once they have momentum, or would you rather see a separate category to start with?

saltonaslug

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
If we are planning on moving forward with this idea then I think it would be good to make a separate section. This would work out very well for the sake of organization-especially if we end up with multiple books/discussions going on at in one place.

Nubti

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:24 PM »
Done. Please let me know if there's any issues.